Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Green, and not all weeds

My friend who designed the garden came by today, and commented that I have some very "enthusiastic" plants. I sure do. Here's a sampling, and I am amazed at the change in a short month.

First, the narrow bed beside our walkway, last year it was mostly dirt. Now it's full of plants, and almost all of them are intentional, not weeds.



Next, the view toward the rainbarrel, almost completely hidden. You can't see colour really well, but the Dicentra Luxuriant (to the right) is in full bloom, and will probably stay that way all summer. And the Cranesbill (to the left) is also blooming, bright pink. In the centre, there is a serviceberry, with red berries on it. This will be less crowded looking as the tree grows taller. For now, it still barely rises above the "enthusastic" hosta in the bed behind it.



I like this section, showing some different textures in green. Coreopsis just starting to bloom on the left. Dark purple spikes of Salvia in the centre, surrounding the light pink Dianthus. Behind that, a nice stand of Phlox, with dark green leaves showing dark burgundy veins. And behind the Phlox, but not really visible, the poor little Endless Summer Hydrangea. I will move some of the tall things from in front, so it can see light, and we can see it.



Creamy white mini roses are in full bloom, and forming a lovely border for the bed that surrounds our Inukshuk.



We need a shot of colour in that bed, but I am very pleased with the roses. I bought them at a grocery store, on sale, 3 pots for $10, and once we divided them, I had 17 little rose plants, enough for a mini hedge.

And finally, the "farewell" photo of the Six Hills Giant Nepeta. You can see the purple haze of flowers over top. There are three separate clumps, and they completely overwhelm everything else planted there. They are gone now, I put in three Obedient Plants today, and now we can see everything planted in the middle of the bed, not just the front border.



That is a great variety of nepeta, but grows large, and quickly. I have cut it back every year, and it just gets taller, fuller and more vigorous. I'd recommend it as a specimen in a large bed in an open area.

2 Comments:

Blogger Genny said...

Hey you have a beautiful garden! I'm jealous of your mini-roses - what a deal! Mine died. I only had one, and it was never in great shape, but I had high hopes. I really like your walkway border too. Nice work!

10:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

everything looks so pretty! You must be so excited.

7:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home